Saturday, January 19, 2013

PostAWeek 2: The Davidian Blog – Music: The Artist, The Single, The Album


PostAWeek 2: The Davidian Blog – Music: The Artist, The Single, The Album
By David “The Single” Dysart

In the world of self-induced ADD and shortened attention spans, I’ll admit, I have fallen into this societal spiral. It’s definitely come out in my music. I’m a child of the iTunes generation. If I can just pick up a single, why buy the cow?

Now, this doesn’t mean I don’t occasionally break the zeitgeist and pick up the occasional album. In fact, when I started to listen to music, what maybe 5 years ago? All I had was a binder of CDs my dad had (mostly classic rock and roll, hence my current affinity for it).


“If I can just pick up a single, why buy the cow?”


I will still pick up the occasional CD, and I suppose that’s what this particular article about. Certain bands I’ll pick up when they come out with an album. Maroon 5 for example will just happen. Their last album was a bit on the poppy side (and a terrible album cover) for my taste, but it was still a good album. I also have a few Guns ‘N’ Roses albums, but I didn’t pick up Chinese Democracy. I’ll just hold on to the good ol’ days.

But this brings us to the nowadays. I picked up all 3 of Green Day’s new albums (Uno, Dos, Tres - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iMOlGHJhb4Y), which were all cool, but I also picked up The Heist (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6lbgd2yMz4 ) from Macklemore and Ryan Lewis after watching his cold-@$$ honkyness and checking out his other singles. I’m not a hip hop/rap kind of guy, but he’s rather amazing. A bit crude at times, but that kind of just comes with it I think. Immensely happy with that album pickup.


“I’ll just hold on to the good ol’ days.”


And then I picked up Shiny Toy Guns’ III (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZkQrbzFRuA), which granted I thought was a different band, but I ended up enjoying rather spectacularly (who I thought it was -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q3YmaADISlo). Actually, I think @Wendy Billings might enjoy them as well.

While that was quite the fortuitous mistake, the last album I’ve picked up was with full intent (actually “With Full Intent” is an amazing album name in and of itself). I got the soundtrack for Django Unchained (both a brilliant movie and amazing bit of music [but that’s to be expected. It’s a Tarantino flick])


“actually “With Full Intent” is an amazing album name in and of itself”


The last item on the agenda if Jack White’s solo album, Blunderbuss. That’s just like a blanket and bottle to a baby. That’s just about all I have to say about that.

Well, this has been terribly boring, so I won’t torture you all for another hundred words. Just tune in next week for something actually amusing. Do enjoy the music though. It’s something you could take away from this at least. That, and this short closing message from our chairman...

So now America, with an open USB port and an empty hard drive, I say unto you in the words of my uncle: 'Allez coustic!




Listening to
Honey Honey and their impeccable ability to get famous people to cameo in their music videos

Twitter Tag
 If you read one "lost episode" this year, don't let it be this one, only on PostAWeek 

Going faster than a “Reply All” email, websites like mine will surely go your way
http://twitter.com/daviddysart All in all, it’s just another post in the feed
http://daviddysart.tumblr.com/ I’m gonna post some tumblrs
http://hangingonbelay.blogspot.com/ Got you stuck on my belay, on my belay like a figure 8
http://daviddysart.blogspot.com/ Posts become as vapid as a blogger out in Starbucks
http://tiny.cc/Facebook_DavidDysart This site has got to be the most pretentious thing


New to the Bloggaday? These are the essential posts to see
158 – Boxer V Brief – Short, concise joke machine and a DYNAMIC ENTRANCE! to my favorite Bloggadays of the Second Trigaday
159 – A Phthalates-filled Sbarro Breadstick – This was just a funny Bloggaday despite the essence being something no one will get unless the look up what a phthalate is
174 – FNtCCA,aToTbDD– While I think it’s clear I rarely EDIT the Bloggaday, this train-of-thought post shows how much I have to FILTER it…
183 – SotW 13 – This one had it all. Pretty much every bit that’s been a major player in the SotW made its way into this one, so it’s a good one to try.
134 – SotW 5 – This particular Song of the Week featured the characters a bit truer to their original concept. After a while, I started liking Tom too much and changed him a bit which caused changes to Chuck.
227 – PWND: TSHBRotCCPS pt16 was some solid fiction content. Plus, that was probably some of the finest Final Thought I’ve ever thought up.


No comments: