Monday, June 24, 2013

PostAWeek 24: The One with the Woodworking Presentation By David “Fragile and Broke Very Easy” Dysart

PostAWeek 24: The One with the Woodworking Presentation
By David “Fragile and Broke Very Easy” Dysart

So for the Peter Pan Camp at Heartland Players Theatre Company, they asked me to be a special guest and talk about woodworking/propmaking. Unfortunately, I got bumps, so I’ll be giving it this week for the Seussical Teen Camp.

Here’s the outline I came up for it. The actual printout has some more notes, but I’m too lazy to make a scan of it.



Woodworking presentation

Horse, Penguin, Guitar, Afro Samurai Sword, Wand


How and why I started
Woodworking has been a great creative outlet for me
I’ve always been interested in drawing and being creative, just not good at it

Connecting with my passions and likes
            Like the guitar

Got started on things I thought were cool.
Horse
Penguin


I’ve always been a geek, so it’s a fun way to get involved

What I love about it is the fact that I’m always growing. I’m getting better at the work of woodworking, becoming more creative, more skilled at the artistic endeavor, and always learning little tricks that make things easier. Every new project has new challenges and lessons.

And these are all very important aspects for woodworking and propmaking. Take for example, my last project involved actual wood. It was really fragile and broke very easy, so it took a bit of ingenuity to work around that.

And I’ve definitely come a LONG way. I was terrible at it in the beginning. It took forever! And I really didn’t have the tools I needed. But that’s the thing. I got better, did it faster, and accumulated the tools I needed to do better. And that’s really how it is with anything you do.



Then when I started acting here, I started doing little props here and there. I’ve been lucky enough to act in 3 big shows here and have made everything from daggers and swords to guns and rifles. The nice thing is though, my painting skills aren’t too great, so while this is good practice, if needs to look really pretty, I can hand it off to a more skilled person at the theatre.

A lot of times, collaborating can be a great thing to do. It allows us to so many great things that we can’t do alone. A director needs their stage manager, Kirk needs his Spock, and a woodworker needs his painter.

And that’s not to say, you shouldn’t try to get better at everything, but I’ve got a pretty good idea of my skillsets. I don’t foresee myself ever being as good of a painter as Dimyana, so I’m focusing on my strengths




Listening to
Auction Wars

Twitter Tag
This man promptly created from a Medium Density Fiberboard many geeky props and tributes  http://tiny.cc/PostAWeek


Going faster than a “Reply All” email, websites like mine will surely go your way
http://twitter.com/daviddysart All in all, it’s just another post in the feed
http://daviddysart.tumblr.com/ I’m gonna post some tumblrs
http://hangingonbelay.blogspot.com/ Got you stuck on my belay, on my belay like a figure 8
http://daviddysart.blogspot.com/ Posts become as vapid as a blogger out in Starbucks
http://tiny.cc/Facebook_DavidDysart This site has got to be the most pretentious thing
The http my own website is coming soon .com !!!! in all its Glory - and all its Horror

New to the PostAWeek? These are the essential posts to see
3 – January Performer of the Month – The first official appearance of Chuck and Tom on the PostAWeek, and a good sampler of their style.

5, 6, 7 – The February Performer of the Month Trilogy – The only Performer of the Month to span 3 posts, Chuck deals with a Batman-quoting Tom for over 1,500 words in this three-bit of brilliance

8, 9, 10 – The Mile High Diaries Trilogy – My yearly pilgrimage to the top of Mount Etatslac chronicled for the future generations to tackle the peak, written article-style with pulled quotes and all that jazz.
           


In 2010 a sharp artistic dude was sent to the garage by a creative endavor for a craft he had never committed. This man promptly created from a Medium Density Fiberboard many geeky props and tributes. Today, still wanted by the fanboys, he survive as an independent contractor. If you have a prop, if no one else can make it, and if you can find me, maybe you can commission... the Rockwall Ronin.



No comments: